Sunday, November 13, 2011

Muesli Cookies

My weekend breakfast is typically the Hodgson Mill Apples and More Muesli.  It's delicious with some Manuka honey, cinnamon, and blueberries mixed in.  While I was waiting for my breakfast to cook, I realized there was also a cookie recipe on the box.  This helped to make the day into a "cooking making" kind of day for me.

What's great about these cookies, is you don't feel as guilty eating them, because they are "healthy."  Healthy cookies are kind of an oxymoron, but these feel that way.  Plus they were super delicious.  I followed the recipe on the box, except for a few additions that I think were key ingredients.



Ingredients:
1/2 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup peanut butter (I used creamy soynut butter)
1 cup white flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup Hodgson Mill Muesli

My add-ins:
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 cup dark chocolate chips
handful golden raisins


Steps:
1)  Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.

2)  Mix together the butter and sugar until fluffy.  I tried to use this new pastry cutter I have, because I have yet to use it... but that didn't work so well.  A fork really just worked best.


My new, never been used, pastry cutter!

 
Well that didn't work very well...

3)  Mix in the egg and vanilla.

4)  Add in the soynut butter, and stir thoroughly.

5)  In a different bowl, combine the dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and muesli mix

6)  Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix.  Add in the chocolate chips and the raisins.

7)  Place tablespoon size clumps onto a greased cookie sheet.  Bake for about 15 minutes.

8)  Remove the cookies when they are slightly golden brown.  I let them cool just a little bit, then place the cookies in an airtight container. I also place a piece of bread with them.  For some reason, this really helps keep the cookies soft!






~Eat Well and Be Happy~

3 comments:

  1. I have a pastry cutter just like that; don't like the wire ones. I love a good "healthy" cookie like this that I can eat for breakfast! But no chocolate chips for me. Besides, that would take them out of the breakfast category.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This recipe looks great! I want to try these to take as a snack to work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh I love this idea! Muesli is one of my favorite things!

    ReplyDelete