Friday, August 5, 2011

Sake To Me Tofu

This recipe was a new one, and it was pretty successful.  I had never cooked with sake before and wanted to give it a try.  The inspiration for it came from the previous night when I went to dinner at Mount Fuji in Oneonta, NY with my parents and my Grandpy.

Afterwards we went to an amazing Cherish The Ladies concert at The West Kortright Center.  The Center is an 1850's church converted to an arts center in the middle of a beautiful valley of the Catskills.  If you haven't ever heard of Cherish The Ladies or haven't been to the center, it's an absolute MUST!  However, I digress... Onto the meal!


                                   

Ingredients:
Nasoya Lite-Firm Tofu
3/4 cup Sake 
3 tablespoons Soy Sauce
1 Scallion (3-4 stems)
1 1/2 tablespoons Fresh Grated Ginger

*Note to the reader: this is not a procrastinators meal.  It needs about 4 hours to marinate*


**Another side note:  I didn't use olive oil with the meal, but I think it would be good to add to the marinade! **





Steps:
1)  Slice the tofu into about 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick pieces.  Use tea towels to squeeze out as much water as possible.  Leave to the side while you make the marinade.


2)  In a shallow dish pour about 3/4 cup of sake.  The local liquor store man said that when cooking with sake, the cheapest one is fine.

Fun Fact: The liquor store man also said that cheap sake should be drank cold, expensive sake should be drank warm!




3)  Add in chopped scallions, grated ginger, and soy sauce.
Grated ginger


I was an idiot and forgot to buy soy sauce at the grocery store... thank goodness you get so many packets when ordering Chinese take-out! 
































4)  Lay the tofu in the pan to marinate for about 4 hours.  Be sure to flip every hour.




















5)  Since I was at my parents house, where a grill was available I wanted to try these on the grill.  Living in a small city apartment, where there isn't a grill, I like to use one whenever I can.

Well I don't actually do the grilling, I supervise my Pops while he does it!  Grills always scare me a bit...









Of course you must have your favorite wine handy while waiting for the tofu to grill














The tofu took about 5-7 minutes a side.  Once you flip the tofu on the grill, add some of the left-over marinade to the top.













Serve outside in a beautiful country setting!!





Have you ever cooked with sake?  Or maybe just have fun stories to share of shenanigans with sake?  Tell me all about it in the comments section below!


~Eat Well and Be Happy~



3 comments:

  1. Really interesting recipe! I tried it and enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an interesting recipe, I never thought to cook with Sake! I love tofu, I think I need to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! I will definitely try this.. Hope there are still some good grilling days left once I'm back from Berlin.

    ReplyDelete