Tuesday, July 12, 2011

As promised... Rosemary Focaccia and a M.L.B cocktail (no relation to baseball though)

Since I am still new in the world of bloggers, a special treat for all you readers out there: two recipes in one blog!

The first recipe, the Rosemary Focaccia comes from The New Moosewood Cook.  To be honest, it is a cookbook I have had in my collection since I graduated from college and have barely used it.  Don't get me wrong there are many little red flags in the book marking the recipes I have wanted to try, but it just hasn't happened.  Until yesterday, when I pushed through and picked a yummy recipe to complement my stuffed peppers.

Warning: this recipe is not for procrastinators who want a warm bread with dinner and decide to start 10 minutes beforehand!
Rosemary Focaccia
Ingredients:
~1 cup wrist-temperature water
~1 1/2 tsp. active dry yeast
~1 tsp. sugar
~1 tsp. salt
~3 1/2 cups flour
~ 3 tbs. dried rosemary
~olive oil

1) Place the water in a medium-sized bowl and sprinkle in the yeast.  Let stand for 5 minutes.  The recipe says it is supposed to become foamy... that didn't happen with mine, but still everything turned out well.  

2) Add sugar and salt.  Stir until everything dissolves.

3) Add the flour next, 1 cup at a time.  Mix in the rosemary with each cup of flour.  This is the step where muscles are required.  Start with a whisk but you will quickly have to move to using your hands.  It will seem like there is no way all that flour can be mixed in.  But trust me, it can!  Keep working and kneading the dough until it isn't sticky anymore.  

4) When the dough is smooth, oil the bowl and the top of the dough using a brush.  Cover with a towel and place in a warm spot for about an hour.  The dough will double in bulk.  Since it's summer time I just turned down the AC and left to go to the gym...

5) Muscles are again needed (or kneaded for you chefs out there) for this step.  Knead the dough for 5 to 8 minutes on a smooth flat surface.  I love the Roll'Pat Pastry Rolling mat.  I suggest looking at a clock and actually timing yourself for this!  



Form the dough in a ball and roll it into a 12 inch diameter circle.  (Remember, as hopefully all my 6th grade students could tell you, diameter goes all the way across the middle of the circle).  Let the dough rest for 10 minutes.  While it is resting, and while your muscles are resting, pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees.

6) Transfer the dough to a baking tray and brush the top with olive oil.  Bake for about 30 minutes.  Serve warm with a little butter or your own special dipping oil! 




Mint-Lemonade-Blueberry (M.L.B.) Cocktail

This drink by far has become my favorite drink of the summer for two reasons: it's super easy to make, and it's simply divine.  Those of you who know me, I can be somewhat picky about my drinks.  I am not a fan of super sweet drinks or drinks with the fake sugar.  I always want to like the fun drinks, however end up choosing a simple vodka-soda (if not beer or wine).  Then, with the help from the powers that be (or just my boyfriends' sister) I came across this drink, which I named the M.L.B. cocktail.  I served them the other night when a few friends came over to my and my boyfriends apartment.  I must say, it was a huge hit.  

Ingredients (per drink):
4 fresh mint leaves
5-6 fresh blueberries
1 shot of blueberry vodka
2 ice cubes
splash of lemonade













Muddle the mint and blueberries in your favorite glass.  We actually had to go out and buy a muddler at my insistence.  However, a spoon works perfectly fine too.  
(Thanks Laura S. for the fun glasses!)


Add a shot of blueberry vodka (more of course can certainly be added).  I used Pearl Blueberry Vodka because it was on sale at the liquor store (remember I am a teacher here which equals no paychecks in the summertime!)  Add two ice cubes and a splash of lemonade.


Sidenote:  I have also tried this drink with regular vodka.  It's still good, but not quite as good as with the blueberry vodka.

Stay tuned for the delicious, yet super easy appetizers we served at the gathering!

~Eat Well and Be Happy~



1 comment:

  1. Love it! you are to make the MLB for me and Sissy krissy next week.

    ReplyDelete