Friday, July 15, 2011

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood

I decided to change things up a bit today and went outside to write.  I found the perfect bench (with free wifi = major bonus) in the shade.  I had to seek out this shady spot because I was a bit careless yesterday at the beach and well, frankly, look like freakish lobster.  Being a redhead, I am usually so careful about the sun but whoops, certainly wasn't the case yesterday!  So after googling home remedies for sunburns, and now smelling of mint tea, I write to you today's recipe (well really last nights dinner) from my shady site.

This is by far one of my favorite recipes.  I got part of it from the Everyday Food Cookbook: Fresh Flavor Fast, but put my own spin to it.  The original recipe called for shrimp... however last year I had a minor reaction to shrimp while visiting my boyfriend in Venezuela.  It wasn't very pleasant and have tried to avoid it since.  So instead, I substitute with loads of colorful, fresh veggies.  

I was short of a few vital ingredients and ran to Whole Foods to pick some up.  Being the summertime, I tend to forget what day it is (isn't everyday a Saturday??).  So to my surprise it was Thursday, which means the Farmers Market at the WF in Medford.  I loaded up on fresh veggies, and headed home to get chopping and cooking!  This recipe can easily be tweaked to your own desires, but the rice, the avocado, the ginger, and the sauce are a must.  



Ingredients:
(for 2 people plus left-overs)
Brown Rice
Broccoli
Yellow Squash
Shredded carrots
Tofu (Light-Firm)
Mushrooms
1/2 purple onion
Ginger
Asparagus
Sugar Snap Peas



Sauce:
1/4 cup Soy Sauce (low sodium) 
1/4 cup Fresh Lemon Juice (1-2 lemons)
2 Tbs. Rice Vinegar (Somewhat random for your average household, but I actually use it often!)
2 Tsp. Light Brown Sugar















What to do:

1)  Make the sauce by combining all the ingredients. Squeeze the lemon juice in a measuring cup first to see how much there is (watch out for seeds though!).  Keep in a small dish because the sauce will be served on the side. 



2) Make the brown rice - follow the directions on the package for the amount of rice you wish to have.  Remember to plan ahead, the rice can take 45 minutes to an hour.

3)  Cut all the veggies before doing any cooking.



Hints:
~Cut off tips of sugar snap peas, then cut in half
~Squeeze out water of the tofu
~I personally have a love-hate relationship with onions.  Love to eat them, hate to cut them... so good luck with that one!  Let me know if you have any special tips to cut without the tears.
~You will only need a small amount of ginger (about a 1 inch stem).  Be sure to peel it first, then cut into small pieces.    




Tofu
Ginger












4)  Using Pam and your largest frying pan,  start with the tofu on medium-high heat for 3 minutes (or so).  Then add the onions and the broccoli.  Let cook for 3-5 minutes.  Mix and add in the mushrooms next.  Turn the heat to medium and add the rest of the veggies.  Cover and let simmer for 7-10 minutes, mixing occasionally.  Towards the end, remember to add in the ginger.  While the food is cooking, cut up the avocado and leave to the side.  
Tofu
Tofu, Broccoli, Onions
Everything Else












5.  Serving:  Spoon rice into a bowl and cover with the veggie/tofu mixture.  Top with avocado and serve with the sauce on the side.  Complete the meal with your favorite wine or beer!
















Great Recipe Book!













Try this recipe? Have any feedback? I'd love to hear your thoughts and opinions below in the comment section!






~Eat Well and Be Happy~




   

2 comments:

  1. Mmmm, I love a good tofu stir-fry and this looks great! We have Fresh Flavor Fast too, and it's great for getting some inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how fresh this looks. For some reason I've been low on my veggie consumption lately which is quite unusual for summer. This would be perfect! :)

    ReplyDelete